Apr 17, 2010

Ron Mueck

My best friend Lori is living in Australia right now. It's hard to be so far away from her but she is having so many wonderful experiences that my joy for her overpowers the sadness I feel when I miss her. We "skyped" a couple of days ago and she told me all about this amazing Ron Mueck exhibit that she and Leon went to. I started to research this artist because his work is so fascinating!! Ron Mueck is a London-based photo-realist artist. Born in Melbourne, Australia,  to parents who were toy makers, he worked on childrens TV shows for 15 years before working in special effects for films. He now produces amazing silicone and mixed media sculptures that are mind blowing!  His massive, hyperreal figures are obsessively detailed, down to every pore and wrinkle. Mueck’s work is always out of scale from reality. His figures are either oversized or undersized. They strive for super-realism, but there is a psychological confrontation between these two contradictory realities, the effort to deceive by perfection, and the obvious discrepancy of scale.

2 comments:

  1. "but she is having so many wonderful experiences that my joy for her overpowers the sadness I feel when I miss her."

    lori and i have something in common - amazing best friends who love us almost too much. this is sometimes how tamara describes how she felt when i went to guatemala for two months. i am blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree more, Bailey! We are truly blessed, aren't we!? The greatest thing about friendship so strong and unshakable is that distance doesn't make you grow apart...it only makes you grow closer. Hayley, I miss you every. single. day. xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Followers